SharePoint Server 2013 App - People Location Tracker using Google Maps
About this App
People Location Tracker is an App for SharePoint Server 2013. This app can track the location of employees
and show the peoples' location as markers on a Google Map. Using this App, one can find the location of their colleagues
easily. This App also shows the time when a person is last seen at a particular location. Peoples' location details are tracked by
the app when they visit one or more SharePoint pages.
Download from Microsoft Developer Network
The Visual Studio solution for this App is available at the Code Gallery. You can download the project, build and install the App to your SharePoint sites.
- Login as an Site Collection Administrator to install this App
- After the installation is successful, open the Apps home page (Site Contents -> People Location Tracker) by clicking on the App from the Site Contents page.
- Open the SharePoint page, which is accessed by all people or employees of your organization.
- Edit this page, and add the 'Location tracker' App Part to a desired zone on the page
- This App Part has properties to change the title of the Map link, or to completely hide it from all users
- Set the properties as required, then save and publish (if required) your page
- Similarly you can add the App Part to other SharePoint page as required.
If there are any issues while using this App, below are the basic troubleshooting steps.
- Make sure you install the App as a Site Collection Administrator
- The 'PeoplePositions' list within the App should have unique permissions.
Open the app's home page, and navigate to the 'PeoplePositions' list (navigate to this URL - http://[your app url]/Lists/PeoplePositions).
- From the ribbon, click on List -> 'Shared With'.
- From the pop up, click on 'Advanced'. Make sure the List has unique permissions and following groups have contribute access on this list
All Users (membership)
- All Users (windows)
- NT AUTHORITY\\Authenticated Users (for SharePoint on-premises)